My name is April Vargo and here's my story:
- I've always been a pretty theatrical person. I started my formal music and theatre training in kindergarten (roughly 1990) studying piano, flute, voice, and acting throughout the years.
- I studied with teachers and mentors who would help me grow musically, personally, and professionally. (A good teacher should be able to do all three)
- I was a member of the Glen Ellyn Children's Choir (now known as Anima) in the Touring Chorus. This was one of my first opportunities to tour and perform. Performance opportunities included NYC at Carnegie Hall, Minnesota, Chicago, Newfoundland / Canada.
- I have performed in Marching Bands, Concert Bands, Choirs, and with various Theatre Departments.
- I attended St. Norbert College being awarded both a Music and Academic Scholarship.
- As part of the Wind Ensemble, I toured Austria, Hungary, and the Czech Republic.
- I had the amazing opportunity to study abroad in Sicily
- In 2008 I received my Bachelors Degree in Music Education from St. Norbert College
- I worked in education in a traditional classroom setting for 8 consecutive years, in three different schools serving suburban, rural, and urban students grades K-12.
- I have taught choir, general music, theatre, and a 2nd Grade classroom
- My students have performed in theatre productions, choir concerts, at baseball games, and celebrations at the Brookfield Zoo, and The Field Museum.
- I have developed curriculum, created and implemented music and theatre programs from the ground up, produced theatrical productions, and created community outreach events.
- In 2016 I left the traditional classroom to open Play.Sing.Act, LLC - A Virtual School for the Performing Arts. The goal was to create the opportunity for anyone to participate in music and theatre programs regardless of location. The stipulation is that the interested student has to have a passion for the performing arts and a willingness to learn.
- My students range in age from children through adults. Their ability levels are complete beginners to professionals working the field.
- My students can be found all throughout the North and South America, Asia, Africa, Australia, and Europe and continue to grow.
- I teach private lessons, group classes, have partnerships with other organizations, and have had opportunities to speaking publicly, and wrote a book
I freelance as a director for live theatre productions....my recent works include:
- Beauty and the Beast
- Leading Ladies
- Legally Blonde
- Sleeping Beauty
- A Christmas Story the Musical
- My husband and I have grown our little family to include a daughter, Maizy, born in 2019 and a son, Danny, due in 2021
- Having children of my own has taught me so much, and inspired me in both my personal and professional lives
- I have added a new program - Maizy and Me - Live Virtual Mommy / Daddy and Me Classes for ages 0-5
- New Group Lessons have also been added to help performing artists to continue to grow their skillset and reach their goals
- I continue to strive for balance in my personal and professional lives while looking to continue to create amazing music and theatre opportunities